The West Fargo VFW’s Post name is named after Arthur W. Jones, the first veteran from the West Fargo area that was killed in World War II. Arthur W. Jones, born January 18, 1922, was killed in action November 5, 1942, serving in Guadalcanal – South Pacific.
In 1946, 10 veterans got together and decided to form a Veterans of Foreign Wars Post in West Fargo, ND. On March 10, 1946, a charter was issued to the Post. During that summer, there was a lack of interest and the Post folded.
In 1948, some veterans again got together and decided to try forming a Post. On July 29, 1948, a new charter was issued to the West Fargo Post with 26 members on the charter. They elected their first Post Commander, Earl Hanson.
The Post did not grow very much due to West Fargo being only a village. Money was a scarce commodity and the Post meetings were held at a local barber shop, bar, and fire hall. Bingo games during Thanksgiving and Easter were the only source of income.
In 1952, under the direction of Post Commander Ed Franck, the Post purchased the corner lot on 4th Avenue and Sheyenne Street for the sum of $600.
During 1953, under the direction of Post Commander Vernus Loberg, the adjoining lot was purchased for $500. In 1953, under the direction of Post Commander Fred Krebsbach, building bonds were sold.
In 1955, under the direction of Post Commander Les Ulness, a building committee was formed and the first Post home was built with a 40′ x 100′ building at a cost of $25,000.
January, 1956, the VFW Auxiliary was formed with 49 members on the charter. Florence Loberg was the first Auxiliary President.
March 28, 1959, at 3:00 a.m., the building caught fire. It gutted the kitchen and office with all records lost in the fire. The Post started all over again with a remodeling.
With another building fund, the Post opened a new club in 1974. Today, it is the Post home of VFW Post 7564 and it’s Auxiliary at 308 Sheyenne Street.
The VFW Post membership is nearing 1100 members and there’s almost 700 members of the Auxiliary. The Post Home is completely remodeled with one of the most active VFW Posts and Auxiliaries in the country.
The mottos of “Honoring the dead by helping the living” and “We’d do anything for this country” truly lives with the West Fargo VFW and Auxiliary. Countless hours are spent by the members on hospital visitations, community activities, and patriotic programs.